Zmitser Bandarenka’s wife not permitted to see him in ward
14:56, — Politics
Doctors say the political prisoner is “cheerful”.
Volha Bandarenka, the wife of the politician, told BelaPAN that coordinator of European Belarus civil campaign Zmitser Bandarenka, who underwent a surgery yesterday in the 5th hospital, feels normal.
“I cannot hear this from him, because I was not permitted to see him, but the doctor said he was cheerful as much as one can be after this operation. He said Zmitser had already stood up,” Bandarenka said.
As she says, doctors insist that Bandarneka stay in hospital for one more week. Then he should have a two-week rehabilitation. “Of course, that’s not enough. We count we will be heard and the rehabilitation period will be extended,” Volha Bandarenka stressed.
We remind that Zmitser Bandarenka was diagnosed with herniated spinal discs and trapped spinal nerves. He underwent a surgery on July 26.
Bandarneka was examined by a neurologist in May, who said the political prisoner needed an urgent operation. The health of the political prisoner deteriorated in June, he was transferred to a medical unit and then to the republican prison hospital. Bandarenka was given a choice: either he goes to a penal colony or undergoes an operation. He had to give his written consent to the operation. He was denied a consultation with a neurosurgeon.
Zmitser’s family and friends say it is in fact an enforced operation. European Belarus civil campaign called on the international community to support Bandarenka. The European Parliament and the European Union demonstrated an immediate reaction to the appeal.
Write your comment (10)
- Flash mob in support of Bandarenka near Lukashenka’s administration
- Freedom House: Belarusian prison authorities endanger health of political prisoner
- Bandarenka may be returned to prison just after operation
- Picket at Belarusian Embassy in Lithuania to support Bandarenka (Photo)
- Bandarenka on operation table
- Jacek Protasiewicz: Situation with Belarus is shocking
- EU demands to stop mistreatment of political prisoners
- Head of PE: the Belarusian authorities have treated Bandarenka in a hideous way
- In prison disciplinary cell Zmitser Bandarenka was chained
- Zmitser Bandarenka: Penal colony or operation