23 May 2018, Wednesday, 14:11
Categories

Demonstrative Trial Of Draft Evader Held In Brest

47

Young students – current pre-conscripts – have been "invited" to the trial of a draft evader.

On January 16, an open court session was held at the military commissariat of Brest and Brest region to consider a criminal case for evading the call-up, virtualbrest.by writes.

Young students – current pre-conscripts – were "invited" to the meeting.

The defendant was born in Brest in 1993. The essence of the matter is as follows: in March of last year, he received a summons from the military registration and enlistment office, where the date of arrival for the medical examination was indicated – March 21. However, Ilya L. left to work in Russia. The military registration and enlistment office, then the police phoned him – he did not answer, although his mother told him that the state bodies "concerned about him." In August, the draft evader was put on the wanted list, and on December 4, he was detained by the police. It happened in Brest, where he returned to and worked as a taxi driver.

That's the whole call-up story of the young resident from the city over the Buh. The defendant pleaded guilty, although he passed a rather unusual judgment at the trial: "I gave the state an opportunity to call me in earlier – it did not use it." The fact is that he was granted a respite for health reasons twice. Last time, the guy decided not to go through the medical check-up. During the hearing, it turned out that his school character reference said that he had had features of the leader, but the mother hadn’t paid enough attention to her son’s upbringing, the family is one-parent. Several unpaid fines did not go unnoticed as well.

Deputy Prosecutor of Brest, Major of Justice Aliaksandr Varabyou stressed in the indictment the public danger of such an offense, demanding three months of detention.

The defendant pleaded guilty in his last word. The judge's decision was as follows: a fine of 60 basic units and 200 hours of public works.

Already after the trial, Lieutenant-Colonel Siarhei Patapchuk, the head of the draft conscription department, reported that there was a tendency towards reduction of the number of draft evasion cases: "There were 12 cases last year in spring. Last autumn, there were only six." If we compare it with the total number of guys who conscientiously joined the army last year, and there were about four thousand of them, we see that draft evaders are not typical for our youth.