Niakliaeu released from punishment25
- 25.07.2013, 10:17
The trial over a former candidate for Belarusian presidency took 40 seconds.
Minsk’s Leninski district court released Uladzimir Niakliaeu from punishment.
Niakliaeu read the court ruling today in judge Volha Kotsur’s office, Interfax-West news agency reports.
The Leninski district court of Minsk was to be hear today a criminal case against Niakliaeu, who had been give a two-year suspended sentence.
Niakliaeu left the judge’s office and said to journalists that the trial had been held on July 23.
He also said that his criminal record would remain for two years and his civil rights would be restricted. Niakliaeu said: “I am not going to limit my rights. I will behave as a free person. I will run for presidency if needed.”
Niakliaeu told Radio Svaboda that he didn’t feel he was a free person. The politician said it’s like being moved from solitary confinement to a general prison unit. “All Belarusian citizens are in some sense inmates, hostages and even slaves,” Niakliaeu said.
Uladzimir Niakliaeu was given a two-year suspended sentence on May 20, 2011. The court decision was taken by Zhanna Zhukouskaya from Minsk’s Frunzenski district court. The former presidential candidate was found guilty of violating part 1 of article 342 of the Criminal Code (organising and preparing the actions that breach public order, or taking active part in such actions).
The Minsk city court upheld the decision of the Frunzenski district court on July 22, 2011.
On July 10, 2013, a court refused to launch a probe into an attack on Uladzimir Niakliaeu on December 19, 2010.