There have been some surprises in Vilnius and Vilnius district.
The elections to the city councils and to the posts of city mayors have been held in Lithuania. Lithuanian political scientist Mariusz Antonovich briefly told Charter97. about their results in Vilnius and Vilnius and Salcininkai districts.
– What do the results of the elections in Vilnius and Vilnius and Salcininkai districts show? Any surprises?
– By and large, there are no cardinal changes. People either do not want, or no longer see the possibility of initiating changes. Voters voted for the old team in Vilnius, Remigijus Šimašius became mayor of the city. The Electoral Campaign of the Poles of Lithuania – the Union of Christian Families won again In the Vilnius and Salcininkai districts.
If we are talking about surprises, then it should be noted: first, the Social Democrats did not get to the Vilnius City Council, and second, the Electoral Campaign of the Poles of Lithuania – the Union of Christian Families lost 4 seats in the city council.
– And what surprises took place at the elections in the context of the whole country?
– For example, in Klaipeda, the election was won by former liberal Vytautas Grubliauskas, it can be assumed that the two liberal forces will try to form a coalition in Vilnius and Klaipeda and try to go to Sejm at the parliamentary elections of 2020. I think that in this case it can be argued that they have serious chances to step over the electoral threshold.
– How can you comment on the election campaign for the post of the head of Vilnius?
– I would like to note that the exceptionally intense and creative campaign led by the former, multiple mayor of the capital of Lithuania, Arturas Zuokas, ended with his defeat. Most likely this indicates that the career of this politician is over.
– In your opinion, what should be expected from the new authorities of the capital?
– It can be assumed that Remigijus Šimašius will support the construction of the national stadium in Sheshkin (Vilnius microdistrict – ed.), which he will try to use to win the 2023 elections.
If you like this article, you can support the website Charter97.org:
DONATION VIA PAYPAL:
MULTI-CURRENCY ACCOUNT FOR ASSISTANCE:
Bank's name: Bank Millennium S.A.
Address: ul. Stanislawa Zaryna, 2A, 02-593, Warszawa
IBAN: PL 97 1160 2202 0000 0002 1671 1123
Name of the account holder: Fundacja “KARTA ‘97”
Purpose/title of payment: Donation for statuary aims
You can contact us by the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org