The authorities will make a big mistake by making REP trade union leaders political prisoners.
– One thing is clear for me: there are no legal moments in the "trade unions case," as it was political from the very beginning, – legal expert of the REP trade union in Homel region Leanid Sudalenka told the palitviazni.info site. – And, since the case was brought against the trade union leaders for political reasons, it will be considered by politicians. Even if Hennadz Fiadynich and Ihar Komlik are severely punished, they will not stay behind bars till the presidential "elections." If Fiadynich and Komlik are thrown behind bars, they will be unequivocally recognized as political prisoners, and this will be constantly mentioned at all negotiations between representatives of the Belarusian authorities and European officials.
If there was such a persecution of trade-union activists in a European country, then all international trade unions would rise to protest. Although, obviously, the reaction of international structures will be there in our case, too.
– However, the Belarusian authorities mention the violation of the law, and not the political persecution ...
– They present the facts of non-payment of taxes in 2011 in evidence. Where were the investigators seven years ago, when they got such factual information? Why did the questions to the organization appeared only when the REP trade union was effectively working against the Decree on "parasites" last year?
The authorities simply gave the REP trade union a thump on the head. But, I repeat, that the materials of the investigation date back to 2011. So why did they shelve them for seven years?
– Hennadz Fiadynich and Ihar Komlik face restriction of freedom for up to 5 years or imprisonment for a term of 3 to 7 years with possible confiscation of property...
– I do not rule out the tough sentence. Apparently, the Belarusian authorities cannot live without political prisoners.
We remind that the Investigation Committee clarified the circumstances of the accusation against REP trade union chairman Hennadz Fiadynich and chief accountant Ihar Komlik.
Hennadz Fiadynich and Ihar Komlik face restriction of freedom for up to 5 years or imprisonment for a term of 3 to 7 years with possible confiscation of property.