BNC leaders are worthy successors of fathers of the Belarusian Independence.
Coordinator of the European Belarus Zmitser Bandarenka told Charter97.org when commenting on detention of leaders of the Belarusian National Congress (BNC) on the eve of the 100th anniversary of BPR:
- Lukashenka has been struck with panic and fear since 2010. Slogans "Go away!" once voiced during the Square-2010, occurred again during spring protests last year. But this time his former supporters-pensioners scream out their discontent.
Last year it became clear he was scared to death, and he still is. This is the reason for detention of BNC leaders on the eve of the 100th anniversary of BPR.
- What do you think caused the detention of leaders of the BNC?
- I already told that one day historians would consider the 100th anniversary of BPR as important as the proclamation of the Belarusian People's Republic. Many events and people will be assessed. The assessment of their behavior today.
Last year BNC leaders organized mass protests - Marches of Angry Belarusians and Freedom Day which frightened the authorities so much.
The moment of truth has already come. We witness cowards and heroes of Belarus; there are immoral guys who try to "stick" to Freedom Day. Meanwhile, there are leaders who proved their loyalty and devotion to ideal of freedom and Independence having passed through beatings, tortures, and jails. They are Mikalai Statkevich, Maksim Vinyarski, Uladzimir Nyaklyayew, Vyachyslau Siuchyk and others.
It can be said that there are, I'm sorry, "Zisser-like" fake opposition and true leaders. Now we observe and feel the heartbeat of the Belarusian history.
- How should the BNC response to detentions of its leaders?
- The bravest people will be present at 12 am, Yakub Kolas Square, March 25. And those who are less brave will be present at the concert. As earlier planned by a great organizing committee of democratic forces, on March 25 both the festive march on city streets and the concert should take place in Minsk. Moreover, the main merit of organization of the concert comes to those who have made the authorities feel great fear.
Most likely, BNC leaders will celebrate behind bars.
There is still time for human rights organizations and the international community to defend the detainees, . Perhaps, the authorities wise up, although there is almost no hope.
Belarusians should prove their will to freedom and resistance, to prove they remember heroes who were not afraid to proclaim independence of our country amid the hardest historical and geopolitical conditions 100 years ago. We know that fathers of BPR paid the highest price for it.
Now BNC leaders show that they are worthy of founding fathers of the Belarusian Independence.